THE PERFECT BALANCE BETWEEN WARM AND BRIGHT
Blues Special Telecaster Pickups are our best-selling single coil set. They are wound as loud as we can get them, while still retaining the traditional Tele tone. Expect a thicker, beefier sound, while still retaining clarity. Blues Specials are wound with 5% more coil, which is 5% hotter than our Stock Tele pickups. Blues Specials are perfect for anyone trying to balance out a bright Tele.
It starts here: Our manufacturing process allows us to achieve unparalleled quality control. Blues Specials consist of local fiberboard and USA-Made Alnico 5 Magnets. We wind each pickup by hand, one at a time. Each pickup is wound using our proprietary “Sectioning” technique. This gives the pickup a sweet, clear tone. Finally, we wax-pot the pickup to preserve the pickup, and prevent microphonics.
- 5% more coil than our Stock Tele Set: 5% more output and mids, 5% less highs
Modified Fender specifications, with more output and thicker tone
High output, but still has Fender sparkle
- Compensated Bridge for even volume across all pickups
USA-made Alnico 5 Magnets for optimal tonal balance and output
Two magnet staggers available for different fingerboard radiuses
Hand-wound with our “Sectioning” technique for unique, dynamic tone
Hand-built fiberboard Bobbins for unrivaled quality control
10-Year Warranty on manufacturing defects
Blues Specials sound thick and rich when playing clean. They offer open and clear highs, with a thicker midrange. This pickup set is very balanced, and doesn’t sound dark or dull. The overwound coil gives the player less highs and more mids than the Stock Tele Pickups. With distortion, expect a light compression, low-end growl and a medium attack. Single notes sound thick and round, while chords have a full tone with an early breakup. This pickup sounds powerful and bold – a great way to take your guitar’s tone to the next level.
Finally, Blues Special Pickups are for those who need more output from their stock pickups. If your current pickups are too bright, you might love these. These tend to be warmer-sounding, but not aggressive. You’ll wonder why you didn’t make the switch earlier.
- What’s the difference between the Stock Tele and the Blues Special Tele? The Stock Tele is more true to Vintage Specs, and thus will sound brighter, clearer, and more open. The Blues Special Tele will sound thicker, darker, and more powerful. Blues Special’s tame the twang a bit, and sounds beefier and thicker.
- What Stagger do I choose? The Blues Special Telecaster set features a Hybrid Stagger neck pickup for a more pronounced D string. Choose the bridge stagger to match your fretboard radius. Choose Stock Bridge Stagger if you have a guitar with a round to medium fingerboard radius: 7.25″ – 10″. Choose Hybrid if you have a flatter or compound radius (11+”).
- What does the cover do to the tone? The cover, open top or solid top, makes the pickup darker. That’s why when you request one, we underwind the neck to compensate.
- How far away from the strings does the pickup need to be? Push your Low E String down at the highest fret. Measure from the top of the pole piece to the bottom of the string. Ideal starting location should be 1/8? on the bass string, and 1/16? on the treble string, when the High E string is pushed down at highest fret.
- Wiring Diagrams? Here!