$100.00 – $200.00
The Fralin P-90: a classic P-90 Pickup known for its big mid-range when used clean, and chainsaw grind when pushing an amp hard. This pickup has all the clarity and definition you’ve come to expect from Fralin Pickups.
ONE OF THE MOST ICONIC PICKUPS, NOW ON STEROIDS.
We all love the sound of a screaming P90 Pickup. It’s been used on countless records and countless guitarists rely on it to give them that aggressive tone they’re after. It’s Rock & Roll, Jazz, R&B, Funk, Blues, and Country all rolled into one. At Fralin Pickups, our P90’s are given a healthy dose of USA-Made Parts and wound by hand, one at a time to deliver what you love most: amazing, unforgettable tone. Our stock set has a Stock Bridge and a -10% Neck. This calibrates the set to have the same output. If you would like to customize this option, please see below for a more detailed description.
- Original Gibson Size
- Strong and bold – lots of midrange and snarl
- USA-made Alnico 4 Magnets for aggressive tone and output
- Compensated Bridge for even volume across all pickups
- RW/RP Neck pickup for hum-canceling on the middle position
- Adjustable Steel Pole pieces for fine-tuning string balance
- Hand-wound with our “Sectioning” technique for unique, dynamic tone
- Hand-built for unrivaled quality control
- 10-Year Warranty on manufacturing defects
Fralin P90’s cover an impressive, wide tonal spectrum. Our P90’s have that undeniable thick Single-Coil tone. You can expect a clear, present, round bottom-end, and a sharp, aggressive top-end. You’ll notice a clear, fat midrange in-between. Single notes have a punchy, thick sonic footprint and have great sustain. Chords break up with slight compression and great note separation. Fralin P90’s offer undeniable clarity and definition while remaining strong and punchy.
You’ll notice a nice midrange snarl as this pickup is quick to break up and get dirty. You won’t notice a Fender Sparkle – for that, we recommend checking out our Alnico Rod model.
- What’s the tonal difference between this and your Hum-Cancelling P90? The Hum-Cancelling P90 is slightly louder, darker, and thicker. It’s quicker to break up and has no hum. Our Stock P90 will have a bit more “glassiness” to it and a slightly softer, more vintage tone.
- What output do I choose? Our most popular set is the Stock Neck & Bridge. Going with a +5% output from Stock will thicken and darken the tone. Going with a -5% will clean up and reduce the midrange, making it sound more articulate and clear.
- What lead do I choose? This depends on your guitar and a few other things. Gibson Lead: Go with this if installing a set into a Gibson-style instrument, where each pickup has its respective volume pot. 2-Conductor: Go with this lead if buying a Single, or installing into a Fender-style instrument.
- What’s the String Spacing? 50mm.
- Can you do F-Spaced P90’s? As it turns out, we can not. Sorry!
- What Pots should I choose? 500K, all day.
- I don’t see what I’m looking for? We can do some custom work, for sure. However, we’re not tooled-up for certain things, like Nickel Dogear Covers. Contact us if you’re not seeing something you’re looking for.
- How far away from the strings does the pickup need to be? Push your Low E String down at the highest fret. Measure from the top of the pole piece to the bottom of the string. The ideal starting location should be 1/8″ on the bass string, and 1/16″ on the treble string when the High E string is pushed down at the highest fret.
- Wiring Diagrams? Here!
We only have Black and Cream Soapbar Covers in 52mm Spacing. We cannot provide White, Raw Nickel, or Polished Nickel Covers in 52mm Spacing.
Wound to Vintage Specifications with 42 Gauge Plain Enamel Wire and uses Alnico IV Magnets. 500K Pots are recommended with this pickup.
Our Stock Set reads 7.2K on the Neck and 8.2K on the bridge.