Pure P.A.F. ®
$150.00 – $300.00
PURE P.A.F.: PURE 50’S TONE, MODERNIZED.
The Lindy Fralin Pure P.A.F. humbucker is our best-selling traditional humbucker. We based this model on the specifications of the original 50’s Gibson® P.A.F. pickups. Our Pure P.A.F. humbucker is clean, articulate, and bright. This pickup will give you a clear, vintage tone that’s articulate and dynamic. The Pure P.A.F has a lower output, which is more dynamic and expressive than higher output pickups. Lindy’s passion for the sound of vintage 50’s humbuckers led us down the road to design and create the Pure P.A.F. It’s by far our most authentic-sounding traditional humbucker.
PURE P.A.F. FEATURES:
- Our Best-Selling Humbucker – low output, vintage tone
- Original Gibson PAF® specifications: low output, with modern clarity
- Clean and clear, smooth grind and a sharp attack
- USA-made Alnico 2 Magnets for vintage tonal balance and output
- Compensated Overwound Bridge for even volume across all pickups
- Hand-wound with our “Sectioning” technique for unique, dynamic tone
- Hand-built for unrivaled quality control
- 10-Year Warranty on manufacturing defects
Due to supplier issues, we are discontinuing Jet Black Nickel covers until further notice. We’ll keep you updated when black comes back!
PURE P.A.F. SOUND:
Clear and articulate. The Pure P.A.F. will stay clean and won’t break up as early as modern humbuckers. Don’t let the term “vintage” fool you – you’ll find that it’s loud and versatile enough to play with modern-voiced pickups. Built with AlNicCo II and 42-gauge plain enamel wire, the Pure P.A.F. pickup is a gateway to instant vintage tone. When playing without distortion, you’ll find that this pickup sings what you put into it: it’s dynamic and warm. With distortion, you’ll find that the grind is nice and smooth. Expect a pronounced pick attack, pure-sounding plain strings, and bright wound strings.
Our manufacturing process allows us to achieve unparalleled quality control. When Lindy set out to design this pickup, he wanted it to be as close to the originals as possible. Pure P.A.F.’s consist of USA-Made Butyrate bobbins, baseplates, magnets, and wire. We wind each pickup by hand, one at a time. Each pickup is wound using our proprietary “Sectioning” technique. Doing this gives the pickup a sweet, clear tone.
Finally, we assemble each pickup one at a time, by hand. Hand assembling pickups allows us to achieve unbeatable attention to detail. After assembly, we wax-pot the pickup to preserve the pickup, and prevent microphonics.
- What’s the difference between this model and the Modern P.A.F.? The Pure P.A.F. has fewer turns per coil and uses a slightly weaker magnet, giving this pickup a clearer and more articulate tone than the Modern P.A.F. In a nutshell, this pickup has a clearer midrange and snappier highs than the Modern P.A.F.
- Can you Coil Tap this model? Yep! Choose 3-Conductor Lead and use our diagrams here. You may want to use a Partial Tap Resistor as this is a medium-output humbucker.
- Which Lead should I choose? If you have a Gibson style instrument with separate volume pots for each pickup, go with the Gibson Shielded Braided lead. Fender style instruments or players with coil-tapping or phase reversing needs, go with 3-Conductor. If you want the maximum options, go with 4-Conductor.
- Which Output should I choose? Our most popular set is our 7.8K neck and our 8.2K bridge. If you want a stronger and darker tone, go with a higher output. If you want a clearer and more open tone, go with a lower output.
- Which String Spacing should I choose? Gibson-style instruments use 49.2mm on the neck and bridge. Fender-style instruments use a 52mm Bridge and a 50mm neck.
Choosing the Spacing:
- 49.2mm: Choose this for Gibson Standard Spacing
- 50mm: Fender Neck Spacing
- 52mm: Fender Bridge Spacing
CHOOSING THE LEAD:
- Gibson® Braided Shielded: Most popular. Use this if you have no special requirements (Coil tapping, Phase Reverse, or Series / Parallel). Do not choose this lead if you’re current pickups are wired into a switch first.
- 3-Conductor With Shield: Use this if you have Coil Tapping or Phase Reverse needs.
- 4-Conductor With Shield: Use this if you have Coil Tapping, Phase Reverse, Series or Parallel needs.
Pure P.A.F.s are wound with 42-Gauge Plain Enamel Wire. They use USA-Made Alnico 2 Magnets and USA-Made Steel Screws. We use Nickel-Silver Baseplates and Covers. Like the originals, we use Butyrate bobbins.
We offer two main sets of Pure P.A.F.s – a Stock Set and an Underwound set. The Stock set reads 7.8K in the Neck and 8.2K in the Bridge. The Underwound set reads 7.5K in the Neck and 8K in the Bridge. We compensate for the outputs, and all sets have matched volume.