Recently, we’ve heard that certain 4-Way Switch manufacturers are not 100% compatible with the Fender Telecaster Control Plate. We’ve found that the switch swings too wide, getting blocked by the Plate itself. This prevents the switch making full contact to all terminals, and thus not working correctly.
We’ve done some brainstorming and research, and found the following modification to be a great option for those looking to get the Series / Parallel modification, and still keep their 3-Way switch. Let’s check out some benefits of this mod:
- Keep your 3-Way Switch – no 4-Way switch needed
- Achieve the Series sound in any position
- Once done with Series sound, simply push down and you’re back to your original position
How it Works:
This mod works like a normal Telecaster, except, pulling up on the Push Pull pot engages Series wiring. What that means is that you can be on any position, pull up, and BOOM – Series. Pushing back down on the Tone Pot disengages the Series wiring, and you’re back to the 3-Way switch, in the same position you left it. Pretty cool.
Tools / Parts Needed:
- 250K (or 500K, whatever your guitar already has) Push Pull Pot
- Neck Pickup (with cover ground separated)
- Rosin-Core Solder
- Soldering Pencil
- Fender Cloth Lead
- Soldering Kung-Fu (no purchase necessary)
A note on the image above: The Push Pull Pot wiring is on the left, the regular Tone Pot wiring is on the right. I wanted to draw it up so it’s clearer and less jumbled. There’s only one Push Pull Pot.
That’s it! Follow the instructions above, and you’ll have a “Series Switch”. Pretty awesome, right? Yeah. It’s awesome. Happy modding!