50’S VIBE, WITH A MODERN TWIST.
The Lindy Fralin Standard humbucker is our second best-selling humbucker we make. We took the specifications of the 50’s Gibson® P.A.F. pickups and put our own modern twist on it. This pickup is perfect for anyone looking for a traditional humbucker tone, with all the clarity and articulation you’d expect from Lindy Fralin.
We designed the Standard Humbucker as a stronger, thicker and slightly warmer version of our Pure P.A.F. This pickup will give you a modern, thicker tone that still sounds vintage and clean. With more turns and stronger magnets, the Standard Humbucker will break up sooner and sound warmer and beefier than our Pure P.A.F.
- Based off of 50’s specs, with a modern twist.
- Thick, strong while still bright.
- Early, smooth breakup
- Bright wound strings, pure-sounding plain strings
- Made by hand, one at a time.
Thick, strong, yet clear. The Standard Humbucker will break up a little earlier than more vintage-sounding humbuckers, and you’ll find that it’s loud, with a bold sound. Built with AlNicCo IV and 42-gauge plain enamel wire, the Standard Humbucker is the perfect balance between modern and vintage tone.
Clean tones are warm, round, and full. Single notes have a larger footprint, while bass strings sound bouncy and rich. You’ll be able to get nice jazzy tones out of this pickup with ease. Dirty tones will sound creamier and smoother than our Pure P.A.F. This pickup will sing with some distortion and the break up is creamy, yet clear.
- What’s the difference between this model and the Pure P.A.F.? The Standard Humbucker has more turns per coil and uses a stronger magnet, giving this pickup a warmer and thicker tone than the Pure P.A.F.. In a nutshell, this pickup sounds more like a traditional humbucker, not an early 50’s P.A.F. replica. If you’re using more distortion and want a larger plain string sound, go with this model.
- Can you Coil Tap this model? Yep! Choose 3-Conductor Lead and use our diagrams here. You may want to use a Partial Tap Resistor as this is a medium-output humbucker.
- What Lead should I choose? If you have a Gibson style instrument with separate volume pots for each pickup, go with the Gibson Shielded Braided lead. If you have a Fender style instrument or coil tapping or phase reversing needs, go with 3-Conductor. If you want the maximum options, go with 4-Conductor.
- What Output should I choose? Our most popular set is our 8K neck and our 9K bridge. If you want a stronger and darker tone, go with a higher output. If you want a clearer and more open tone, go with a lower output.
- What Spacing should I choose? Gibson style instruments use 49.2mm on the neck and bridge. Fender style instruments use a 52mm Bridge and a 50mm neck.
Wound with 42-gauge plain enamel wire, and built with AlNiCo IV magnets. Options include a Zebra, Black, or Double White (50 & 52mm only). We can wind the Neck from 7.5K – 8.5K, and the bridge from 8K-10K. The most popular set is a 8K Neck and 9K Bridge. 500K Pots are recommended with this pickup.
CHOOSING THE SPACING:
- 49.2mm: Choose this for Gibson Standard Spacing
- 50mm: Fender Neck Spacing
- 52mm: Fender Bridge Spacing
At Fralin Pickups, we are a total and complete custom shop. Need something specific? Upon checkout, use the “Notes” field to write anything you want! Anything customized is a final sale and non-returnable.