Installing and removing a humbucker cover is a pretty simple process, if you know what you’re doing. In this video, Tyler at the shop shows the complete process from start to finish, how to properly install a Humbucker Cover. Furthermore, we show you how to remove a humbucker cover safely and easily.
- Humbucker Cover (Inside lightly waxed)
- Masking Tape
- Sandpaper (coarse grit)
- High Heat Soldering Pencil
- Hair Dryer / Heat Gun
Tools Needed For Removing A Cover:
- Razor Blade With Masking Tape Wrapped Around It: (See below)
- Start by applying masking tape to the Steel Slugs on your humbucker. This will prevent any metal-to-metal vibrations and reduces microphonics.
- Use sandpaper to sand the inside edges of the humbucker cover. This will remove the plating and allow solder to flow and grab the metal of the cover. If you don’t do this step, solder will not stick to the humbucker cover.
- Pre-tin the humbucker cover on the edges you sanded with a high quality solder.
- Apply the humbucker cover, and use the soldering pencil to flow new solder on to the inside edge of the humbucker cover and the baseplate.
- Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the face of the humbucker cover and flow the wax. This will prevent microphonics.