Blues Special® Strat
$95.00 – $285.00
Blues Specials are our second best-selling Stratocaster set! They are a great choice for players who want a little more “thickness” in their single note soloing. Blues Specials will give you more crunch in your chord playing. This set is 5% darker and thicker than our Vintage Hots.
BLUES SPECIALS: PERFECT BALANCE.
Blues Special Strat Pickups are our second best-selling single coil set. Musicians looking for a thick, warm sound will love the sound of these pickups. Blues Specials are wound with 5% more coil than Vintage Hots, making them sound 5% hotter and thicker. This model can help you balance out a bright guitar by adding thickness to the tone.
It starts here: Our manufacturing process allows us to achieve unparalleled quality control. Blues Specials consist of local fiberboard and USA-Made Alnico 5 Magnets. We wind each pickup by hand, one at a time. Each pickup is wound using our proprietary “Sectioning” technique. This gives the pickup a sweet, clear tone. Finally, we wax-pot the pickup to preserve the pickup and prevent microphonics.
- 5% more coil than our Vintage Hots: 5% more output and mids, 5% less highs
- Modified Fender specifications, with more output and thicker tone
- High output, but still has Fender sparkle
- Compensated Bridge for even volume across all pickups
- RW / RP Middle pickup
- USA-made Alnico 5 Magnets for optimal tonal balance and output
- Two magnet staggers available for different fingerboard radiuses
- Hand-wound with our “Sectioning” technique for unique, dynamic tone
- Hand-built fiberboard Bobbins for unrivaled quality control
- 10-Year Warranty on manufacturing defects
BLUES SPECIALS SOUND:
When playing clean, Blues Specials sound thick and rich, especially in the lows and mids. Additionally, they sound very open and clear without sounding too compressed. The 5% overwound coil gives the player 5% less highs and 5% more mids than the Vintage Hot Pickups. Expect the tone to have a light compression with distortion. You’ll notice a thick high-end with a low-end growl and a medium attack. Single notes sound thick and round, while chords have a full tone with an early breakup. This pickup sounds powerful and bold – a great way to take your guitar’s tone to the next level.
Finally, Blues Special Pickups are for those who need more output from their stock pickups. If your current pickups are too bright, you might love these. These tend to be warmer-sounding, but not aggressive. You’ll wonder why you didn’t make the switch earlier.
BLUES SPECIALS FAQ’S:
- What Magnet Stagger Do I Use? This all depends on your fingerboard radius. If you have a 7.25″ – 10″ Radius, we recommend going with Stock Stagger. If you have a flatter or compound radius, go with the Hybrid stagger.
- What’s the difference between Blues Specials and Vintage Hots? Blues Specials have more turns per pickup – they sound thicker and darker, with more output than Vintage Hots. Vintage Hots sound cleaner, clearer and a tad bit more balanced.
- How far away from the strings does the pickup need to be? Push your Low E String down at the highest fret. Measure from the top of the pole piece to the bottom of the string. The ideal starting location should be 1/8″ on the bass string, and 1/16″ on the treble string when the High E string is pushed down at the highest fret.
- Wiring Diagrams? Here!
- 42-Gauge Single Poly Nylon Wire
- USA-Made Alnico V Magnets.
- 250K Pots Recommended.
Blues Specials will read approximately 6.3K in the Neck and Middle, and 7.2K in the Bridge.